berg he worked in the university laboratory under the guidance of Bunsen, and attended lectures by Kirchhoff, Kopp, and Von Leonhard; during his sojourn in Heidelberg he took no part in the objectionable practices of the "Studenten-Corps," yet became so popular in the laboratory that at the beginning of the third semester he was elected by the students their "Polizei."
After a summer semester in Göttingen under Friedrich Wöhler, where he began research for a thesis, he went to Berlin, where he was admitted to the private laboratory of Prof. A. W. von Hofmann, the university laboratory not being as yet constructed. His position under Hofmann was a most agreeable one, and may be called that of pupil-assistant, as he worked at researches for Hofmann without any pecuniary compensation either to or from the university. For six months he was the sole pupil with Hofmann, but later he shared his table with the late Dr. Paul Mendelssohn-Bartholdy. In 1866 he took the degree of Doctor of Philosophy at Georgia Augusta University, Göttingen. Dr. Bolton's residence in Berlin was saddened by the death of his father, after a lingering illness, February, 1866.
During his five years' sojourn in Europe Dr. Bolton spent the long summer vacations in travel, chiefly in Switzerland and the Austrian Tyrol; he visited every canton in Switzerland on foot, and became an expert Alpine climber, ascending among other peaks the Titlis, the Col du Géant, the Cima di Jazzi, and Monte Rosa,
In the years 1866 and 1867 he made more extended journeys, traveling leisurely in Italy, Spain, France, Holland, Russia, and Scotland. In August, 1867, he returned to the United States, and, continuing his travels, went from Canada to Mexico. Settling in New York the following year, he opened a laboratory for private research, and eventually took a few pupils. In 1871 he spent five months in travel, visiting California and Washington Territory. In 1872 he was invited to the position of assistant in analytical chemistry at the School of Mines, Columbia College, under Prof. Charles F. Chandler. This position he accepted, and he had charge of the laboratory of quantitative analysis for five years, also giving lectures on the subject during the last year. Meanwhile, in 1875, he was elected to the chair of Chemistry in the Woman's Medical College of the New York Infirmary, of which Dr. Elizabeth Blackwell is dean; here he discharged his duties for three years, until he removed from New York city.
In 1877 he accepted the chair of Chemistry in Trinity College, Hartford, Conn., a position which he held for ten years. At Trinity he planned the interior of the chemical department and moved the apparatus and museum to the new buildings. He had marked influence in the organization of scientific courses, in which he had the co-operation of the late Prof. Louis M. Cheesman, who held