dents. He was for a time Professor of Chemistry in the Franklin Medical College, and represented this institution in the National Medical Convention, held in Philadelphia in 1847, which organ- ized the American Medical Association.
In 1847 he succeeded the celebrated Dr. Robert Hare as Pro- fessor of Chemistry in the University of Pennsylvania—a curious coincidence in connection with his father's succeeding Dr. Hare at Williamsburg. In this position he remained until his death, five years later. He was also one of the representatives of the university in the National Convention of 1850 for revising the Pharmacopoeia of the United States.
In 1846 he was elected to membership in the American Philo- sophical Society, and the following year joined the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia.
Dr. Rogers was of slight frame and never enjoyed robust health. In his latter years he suffered at times from nervous exhaustion and defective nutrition, probably induced by un- remitting labor. He died June 15, 1852, leaving a widow, two sons, William B. and Henry A., also a daughter, Mary V. Rogers.
Never favored by prosperity. Dr. Rogers was particularly straitened in circumstances during the first part of his residence in Philadelphia. It was not until he entered upon his last pro- fessorship that he received a comfortable salary. The institutions with which he had been connected before were small and weak or came to grief in some way that could not be anticipated. While lack of shrewdness and assertiveness on his own part may have contributed to hinder his advancement, his worth as a teacher is beyond question. He was everywhere esteemed by his colleagues and popular among his students. Dr. Carson said of him, "Dis- interested and generous in his relations with the world, mild and conciliating in deportment, open and affable when approached, urbane to every one, his virtues shone conspicuously within the circle of his friends. With his pupils he was sympathizing; he entered cheerfully into their discouragements and difiBculties; and those who confided to him received that encouragement and counsel so grateful to the student's feelings. He was emphatic- ally the student's friend."
At the School of Horticulture, Geneva, Switzerland, fourteen professors are engaged in teaching the various branches of the science, which include floriculture, arboriculture, kitchen gardening, landscape architecture, forest culture, vine dressing, zoology, bee raising, botany, chemistry, and metal- lurgy. A considerable part of the school day is devoted to practical work under the direction of five superintendents.