Page:Popular Science Monthly Volume 74.djvu/104

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
100
THE POPULAR SCIENCE MONTHLY

workers. With Mason passes one of the founders of the Anthropological Society of Washington in 1879, in the activities of which he took a most prominent part while health lasted, serving as its president from 1893 to 1895. His associates will miss his cordial greeting, his fatherly advice and encouragement, his tender sympathy, the cheering atmosphere that one always felt when in his presence. In time to come Mason will be recognized as the pioneer in the classification and analysis of the material culture of the American aborigines.

 

THE H. K. CUSHING LABORATORY OF EXPERIMENTAL MEDICINE OF WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY

The school of medicine of the Western Reserve University, which is one of those in this country maintaining the highest standards, has been fortunate in receiving from Mr. H. M. Hanna and Colonel Oliver H. Payne a gift of $200,000—to which they have just added $17,000 towards the endowment—for a laboratory of experimental medicine, named in honor of one of the distinguished professors of the school in its early days. The laboratory was dedicated on November 20, when, after a welcome by President Thwing, the principal address was made by William H. Welch, M.D., LL.D., professor of pathology in the Johns Hopkins University. An address was also made by George Neil Stewart, D.Sc, M.D., professor of experimental medicine and director of the new laboratory.

The new laboratory adjoins the main building and the physiological laboratory building of the Medical School.

PSM V74 D104 Original building of the western reserve medical school cleveland.png

The original building of the Western Reserve Medical School, erected in 1844 for the Cleveland Medical College. Replaced in 1887 by the present main building of the Western Reserve University Medical School.