U.S. Department of Justice
Attorney Work Product // May Contain Material Protected Under Fed. R. Crim. P. 6(e)
to Russia, PutinTrump.org. WikiLeaks publicly tweeted: "'Let's bomb Iraq' Progress for America PAC to launch "PutinTrump.org' at 9:30am. Oops pw is 'putintrump' putintrump.org." Several hours later, WikiLeaks sent a Twitter direct message to Donald Trump Jr., "A PAC run anti-Trump site putintrump.org is about to launch. The PAC is a recycled pro-Iraq war PAC. We have guessed the password. It is 'putintrump.' See 'About' for who is behind it. Any comments?"
- Several hours later, Trump Jr. emailed a variety of senior campaign staff:
- Guys I got a weird Twitter DM from wikileaks. See below. I tried the password and it works and the about section they reference contains the next pic in terms of who is behind it. Not sure if this is anything but it seems like it's really wikileaks asking me as I follow them and it is a DM. Do you know the people mentioned and what the conspiracy they are looking for could be? These are just screen shots but it's a fully built out page claiming to be a PAC let me know your thoughts and if we want to look into it.
Trump Jr. attached a screenshot of the "About" page for the unlaunched site PutinTrump.org. The next day (after the website had launched publicly), Trump Jr. sent a direct message to WikiLeaks: "Off the record, I don't know who that is but I'Il ask around. Thanks."
On October 3, 2016, WikiLeaks sent another direct message to Trump Jr., asking "you guys" to help disseminate a link alleging candidate Clinton had advocated using a drone to target Julian Assange. Trump Jr. responded that he already "had done so," and asked, "what's behind this Wednesday leak I keep reading about?" WikiLeaks did not respond.
On October 12, 2016, WikiLeaks wrote again that it was "great to see you and your dad talking about our publications. Strongly suggest your dad tweets this link if he mentions us wlsearch.tk." WikiLeaks wrote that the link would help Trump in "digging through" leaked emails and stated, "we just released Podesta emails Part 4." Two days later, Trump Jr. publicly tweeted the wlsearch.tk link.
- 9/20/16 Twitter DM, @JasonFishbein to @WikiLeaks; see JF00587 (9/21/16 Messages, @jabber.cryptoparty.is & @jabber.cryptoparty.is); Fishbein 9/5/18 302, at 4. When interviewed by our Office, Fishbein produced what he claimed to be logs from a chatroom in which the participants discussed U.S. politics; one of the other participants had posted the website and password that Fishbein sent to WikiLeaks.
- 9/20/16 Twitter DM, @WikiLeaks to @DonaldJTrumpJr.
- TRUMPORG_28_000629-33 (9/21/16 Email, Trump Jr, to Conway et al. (subject "Wikileaks")).
- 9/91/16 Twitter DM, @DonaldJTrumpJr to @WikiLeaks.
- 10/3/16 Twitter DMs, @DonaldJTrumpJr & @WikiLeaks.
- At the time, the link took users to a WikiLeaks archive of stolen Clinton Campaign documents.
- 10/12/16 Twitter DM, @WikiLeaks to @DonaldJTrumpJr.
- @DonaldJTrumpJr 10/14/16 (6:34 a.m.) Tweet.