The Colonial Virginian. 139
were five schools in Henrico county. Beverley, writing about the same period, states: "There are large tracts of land, houses, and other things granted to free schools in many parts of the county, and some of them are so large that of themselves they are a handsome maintainence for a master. * * In all other places where such en- dowments have not already been made, the people join and build schools for the children." 38
In 1724, in the replies to the Bishop of London made by the rec- tors of the several parishes as to the number of endowed schools in Virginia, it appears that there were as many as four schools in many parishes, in some of which Latin and Greek were taught. 39 McCabe. among the sources of education in the Colony, cites the " Parsons' Schools"; that of Rev. Devereux Jarratt, in Fluvanna county; the classical school of Rev. John Todd, in Louisa, in 1750; Augusta Academy, in Rockbridge, in 1774 the germ of the present Wash- ington and Lee University; Prince Edward Academy, in 1776 now Hampden-Sidney College ; Washington-Henry Academy, in Han- over, founded a few years later by John D. Blair the "Parson Blair," of Richmond, of revered memory; the schools of Rev. Archi- bald Campbell and Thomas Martin (the latter of whom prepared James Madison for Princeton College) in Richmond county ; of Rev. James Maury, in Orange (the preceptor of Jefferson and many emi- nent Virginians); of Donald Robertson, of King and Queen 40 . I may add Rev. William Douglas, who taught in Goochland and Al- bemarle counties, and said to have been an early preceptor of Jef- ferson, and the classical school at " Wingfield," in Hanover county; of Rev. Peter Nelson, an alumnus of William and Mary College, who died a minister of the Baptist Church. Many eminent men of Virginia and the Southern States were educated by him. In 1751 a labor school was established in Talbott county, Md. , chiefly by the contributions of Virginians, and in which were fed, clothed, lodged, and taught poor children." The providence of the parish system is indicated in the appointed duty of the vestrymen in binding out pauper children, to require by contract that they should have three years' schooling. This practice is attested by the vestry records of various parishes. It cannot be questioned that many sons of wealthy planters enjoyed the advantages of English and Scotch Universities
38 Beverley, page 240.
39 Perry's Church Papers of Virginia, pages 261-318.
40 * Virginia Schools, etc.