BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA iOS
Attachd. — Herr H. L. "Wagner.
Military AttadU. — rrincc Alois Eszterhazy, F.M.
Naval Attachd. — Commander L. Sztranyavszky.
ChaiKcllor. — E. K, Rilti.
Co7isiil-Gc7ieral. — 'Bavon A. cle RotlischiUl.
There are Consular representatives at Belfast, Birmingham, Bradford, Bristol, Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Hull, Liverpool (C.G.), Man- chester, Plymouth, Sheffield, etc.
2. Of Great Britain in Austria-Hungary.
Ambassador.— Ut Hon. Sir H. Rumbold, G.C.B., G.C.M.G.; appointed Ambassador to Austria- Hungary, October, 1896.
Secretary — Ralph Mill)anke, C. B.
Military Attache. — Col. F. AI. Wardrop, C.B.
Comvicrcial Attachd. — A. A. Bennett.
There are Consular representatives at Vienna (C.G.), Buda-Pcst (C.G.), Fiume, Trieste, Prague, Lissa.
BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA.
The Ottoman Provinces of Bosnia and Herzegovina were, by the Treaty of Berlin (July 13, 1878), handed over to the Austro-Hungarian Govern- ment for administration and military occupation. The direction of the administration of the two occupied provinces is exercised by the Bosnian Bureau, entrusted to the Imperial Finance Minister in Vienna in the name of the Emperor-King. The chief authority in the province itself, with its seat in Sarajevo, is the provincial government (Landesregierung), in three departments, for internal affairs, finance, and justice. For administration purposes there are 6 district (Kreis) and 48 county (Bezirk) authorities. The provincial government is provided with an advising body, composed of the ecclesiastical dignitaries of Sarajevo and 12 representatives of the populace. Similar councils are also provided for the district and county authorities. For the administration of Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1897 the expenditure was estimated at 18,165,680 florins, and the revenue at 18,087,103 florins. There was, for 1898, an extraordinary estimate of 3,489,000 florins for the army.
Bosnia and Herzegovina contain six districts (Kreise), with an area_ of 23,262 square miles. The Sanjak of Novi-Bazar is occupied by an Austrian military force, though administered civilly by Turkey. In 1895 the popu- lation numbered 1,568,092 (828,190 males and 739,902 females). Moham- medans, 548,632; Oriental Orthodox. 673,246; Roman Catholic, 334,142; Evangelical, 3,596 ; other Christians, 251 ; Jews, 8,213 ; other religions, 12.
The nationality is Servian, only in the southern districts are Arnauts, and here and there gipsies. The most populous towns are the capital, Sarajevo, with 38,083 ; Mostar, 14,370 ; Banjaluka, 13,666 ; and Dolnia Tuzla, 10,227.
There is 1 higher gymnasium, 2 gymnasia, 4 commercial schools, 943 elementary schools, with 1 Greek-Oriental, and 1 Roman Catholic seminary for priests, and 1 training college for teachers. In the village schools the teaching of practical agriculture has been introduced.
There is an upper court of justice in Sarajevo, the 6 district (Kreis) courts and the county (Bezirk) authorities as courts of first instance.
The agricultural population in 1895 numbered 1,385,291 or 88 per cent, of the whole, but agriculture is in a very low state of development, though the soil is very fertile. Tobacco, the most important crop, is a Government mo- nopoly from which, in 1897, the gross receipts amounted to 4,500,000 florins. Maize, wheat, barley, oats, rye, millet and buckwheat, potatoes, flax, and hemp, are cultivated. Both provinces have superabundance of fruit,
D D 2