THE APOSTLES' CREED
"Peter.—1. I believe in God the Father Almighty;
"John.—2. Maker of heaven and earth;
"James.—3. And in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord;
"Andrew.—4. Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary;
"Philip.—5. Suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead and buried;
"Thomas.—6. He descended into hell, the third day he rose again from the dead;
"Bartholomew.—7. He ascended into heaven, sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
"Matthew.—8. From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead;
"James, the son of Alpheus.—9. I believe in the Holy Ghost, the holy Catholic Church;
"Simon Zelotes.—10. The communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins;
"Jude, the brother of James.—11. The resurrection of the body;
"Matthias.—12. Life everlasting. Amen."
REFERENCES TO THE ORIGIN OF THE CREED.
- ↑ Ambr. Opera, tom. iii. Serm. 38. p. 265
- ↑ King's Hist, Apost. Creed, 8vo. p. 26.
- ↑ Nat. Alex. s. I. vol. I. p. 490, &c.
- ↑ Du Pin, Biblioth. Eccles. vol. I. p. 25, &c.
- ↑ Diatrib. de Symb.
- ↑ Voss. Dissert. de tribu. Symbolis.
- ↑ Suicer, Thesaur. Eccles. tom. ii. Voce, p. 1086, &c.
- ↑ Spanhem, Introd. ad Hist. Eccles. s. ii. c. 3.
- ↑ Ernest. Tentzal. Exercit. select Exercit. I.
- ↑ Sam. Basnage Exercit. Hist. Crit. ad Ann. ALIV. num. 17, 18.
- ↑ Wake's Apost. Fathers, 8vo. p. 103.
- ↑ Mr. Justice Bailey's Common Prayer, 1813, p. 9.