of his promotions; any constitution or Act of Parliament that is or shall be to the contrary notwithstanding; dated at Christ's Church (where the King was then in his progress) 20th August, 1552. Le Neve gives the date of (Dr. Leonard Pollard) his successor's installation to this prebend as 11th August, 1551, and Standish's name does not occur again as holding the stall, so that it would seem as if the Royal licences took no effect. As John Standish, S.T.P., he was admitted archdeacon of Colchester 10th January, 1552-3, at the presentation of Sir Edward North, knight, but his institution was obliterated a few days afterwards, and Hugh Weston, S.T.P., Dean of Westminster, was collated to the archdeaconry 22nd January, 1553-4 "per subductionem et obliterationem actus institutionis Standish. From this it would appear that, whether in view of prospective changes when Princess Mary should accede to the throne or moved by other domestic causes, the reforming zeal of Standish was now on the wane. At any rate when Queen Mary came to the throne Standish was made vicar of Northall, 29th June, 1554; of which he seems to have been shortly afterwards deprived because he was a married man. It was, perhaps, at this time that he put away his wife, and bishop Bonner, for his affections to popery, collated him the same year to the rectory of Packlesham in Essex.
He does not seem to have prospered altogether even in Queen Mary's time, for at the metropolitical visitation of the diocese of Lincoln by the Cardinal Archbishop Pole in 1556, amongst the matters detected and exposed by John [White], bishop of Lincoln, were the following concerning John Standish, who appears to have been rector of Medbourne, in the county of Leicester, at that time: "Medburne Mansum. Mansum rectorie patitur maximam ruinam. Fama publica est, quod rector ibidem Dominus
- Strype's Memorials, vol. iv. p. 272.
- Le Neve's Fasti
- Wood's Athenæ. The Author is rather involved in this part of his account; but the true version is probably as I have stated it.