from the high land in Zennor, about ten miles from the Land's End.
This parish contains 8552 statute acres.
Annual value of the Real Property as re- £. s. d. turned to Parliament in 1815 . . 2561
Poor Rates in 1831 . 289 2
in 1801, in 1811, in 1821, in 1831
513 506 554 627;
increase on a hundred in 30 years of 22^ P er cent. Present Vicar, the Rev. T. J. Landon, presented in 1815 by the Dean and Chapter of Exeter.
GEOLOGY, BY DR. BOASE.
The greater part of this parish is situated on granite, including within its boundaries Roughtor and Brown Willy, the highest hills in Cornwall, the latter being 1368 feet above the level of the sea. The composition of this granite has been already noticed under the head of Advent: it affords few varieties, which may be owing to its offering few opportunities for examination.
The circumstance most attractive of attention is the great sterility of this extensive district; some few contracted spots are indeed brought into cultivation; some parts afford summer pasturage for cattle, and others turf for fuel; but by far the greater portion of the whole lies entirely unproductive. And this character belongs to the whole insulated patch of granite more than ten miles in diameter; and the church of St. Breward is the only one to be found on this extensive surface of perhaps from forty to fifty thousand acres; while nine churches are to be found on the granite district of the Land's End, where this substratum, departing from its usual qualities, gives fertility to the soil.
The western extremity of this parish is fertile, resting on a peculiar kind of slate, which possesses geological interest. It may be seen at Combe, at Penrose, and at other places near the river Camel, and appears to be a