Page:The parochial history of Cornwall.djvu/201

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
There was a problem when proofreading this page.

This parish contains 5035 statute acres. Annual value of the Real Property, as re- £. s. d.

turned to Parliament in 1815 . 5801

Poor Rate in 1831 . . . 1426

Population, in 1801, 1105 in 1811, 2064 in 1821, 2388 in 1831, 2328; being an increase of about 111 per cent, in 30 years.

Present Rector, the Rev. Edward Morshead, presented by the King in 1796.


The Geological structure of this parish is precisely similar to that of Callington; but, as it is better developed, it will admit of a little more detail.

The northern part consists of the granite of Hingston Down, which is crystalline, and it is extensively quarried for economical purposes. The quarries near the summit of Kitt Hill afford excellent illustrations of the internal structure of the granitic mass. On this Down, beds of fine-grained granite project here and there above the surface, resembling that which occurs as Elvan courses in the adjacent slate. The latter rock consists of a basis of granular felspar, spotted and spangled with a shining-mineral like mica. This slate, as well as the granite, have been long explored for tin and copper. Shorl and mica generally abound in the lodes; and the former mineral is often so intimately combined with the quartz, as to form a dark-coloured compact shorl rock. Southward the slate becomes more blue, and is fissile into extended slabs. Near the village of Calstock it is soft and lamellar, having evidently graduated into the calcareous series. At Cotehele, near the landing place, a beautiful oved-coloured calcareous schist is quarried, which is said to prove a good material for lining kilns and ovens: it has a shining talcose appearance, resembling that of Trenalt, near Pallephant, in Alternon.