Page:The parochial history of Cornwall.djvu/54

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
12
ST AGNES.

more commodious and safe for shipping. A small stream of water which rises in the manor of Tywarnhaile, turns several stamping mills in Trevaunance Comb.

The market, for which there does not appear to be any charter on record, has been held from time immemorial for all sorts of wares and provisions, except corn. In 1706, Mr. Tonkin procured the Queen's patent for a weekly market and two fairs; but after the writ of ad quod damnum had been duly executed, and the Queen's sign manual obtained, the grant was revoked in consequence of a petition from the inhabitants of Truro. A small market is nevertheless kept up; the market day is Thursday.

In a dingle called Chapel-comb, was an ancient chapel known by the name of Forth Chapel, the ruins of which were taken down about the year 1780. Near this spot is St. Agnes' well, of which many miraculous stories are told; the water is of an excellent quality, and much esteemed. Hals speaks of an ancient free chapel in the manor of Mythian, which had been made a dwelling house. There are remains of an ancient chapel at Mola. Nicholas Kent, of Mingoose, by his will bearing date 1688, gave for the term of 499 years a dwelling house, divided into four tenements and a garden, for poor widows of this parish, and charged his lands of Mingoose and Tereardrene with the repairs of the house; but it does not appear that it was endowed. One of the schools, founded by the trustees of the fund left for charitable uses by the Rev. St. John Elliot, who died in 1760, is at St. Agnes; the endowment is £5 per annum. There is a Sunday school at St. Agnes, supported by subscription, and numerously attended.

THE EDITOR.

For various particulars respecting the Tonkin family see the edition of Carew by Lord Dunstanville, vol. i. 1811, 4to. pp, 353-337, with monumental inscriptions