Page:United States Statutes at Large Volume 105 Part 3.djvu/582

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page needs to be proofread.

105 STAT. 2466 PROCLAMATION 6231—NOV. 14, 1990 ture, anthropology, and culture will help to enhance public awareness of—and appreciation for—these proud peoples. During National American Indian Heritage Month, as we celebrate the fascinating history and time-honored traditions of Native Americans, we also look to the future. Our Constitution affirms a special relationship between the Federal Government and Indian tribes and—despite a number of conflicts, inequities, and changes over the years—our unique government-to-government relationship has endured. In recent years, we have strengthened and renewed this relationship. Today we reaf- firm our support for increased Indian control over tribal government af- fairs, and we look forward to still greater economic independence and self-sufficiency for Native Americans. The Congress, by Public Law 101-343, has designated November 1990 as "National American Indian Heritage Month" and has authorized and requested the President to issue a proclamation in observance of this month. NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim November 1990 as National American Indian Heritage Month. I encourage all Americans and their elected representatives at the Federal, State, and local levels to observe this month with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fourteenth day of November, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and ninety, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fifteenth. GEORGE BUSH Proclamation 6231 of November 14, 1990 National Farm-City Week, 1990 By the President of the United States of America A Proclamation For nearly four decades, we Americans have observed National Farm- City Week in honor of this country's farmers and all those who play a role in the production and distribution of U.S. agricultural goods. It is fitting that this week coincides with our annual celebration of Thanksgiving, a time when Americans traditionally give thanks for our many blessings—including our abundant supplies of safe, wholesome, and af- fordable foodstuffs. American farmers are the most enterprising and efficient in the world. Constituting less than 2 percent of our population, these men and women feed the other 98 percent—and millions of people around the globe as well. Nowhere else does such a small percentage of a nation's population feed so many. These hardworking Americans are assisted in their efforts, however, by millions of people in urban areas—by researchers who develop improved methods and technology for farming; by the manufacturers and suppliers of equipment, seeds, and fertilizers; by those who transport