A HISTORY OF SURREY The borough of Gatton, in the nomination of Mistress Copley, a recu- sant, is to be furnished with two suitable and loyal burgesses. Tenths and fifteenths, granted by Parliament, are to be carefully collected, Feb- ruary 20, 1573. Exertions are to be made to induce people to take up more freely the State lottery, devised to bring in 200,000 to Eliza- beth's Government in 1567, which seems to be neglected. A flaring prospectus 1 was issued setting forth the advantage of the lottery, with pictures of pieces of plate, presumably the prizes, looking not unlike old church plate. It was not apparently as attractive as was hoped. In 1568 the lottery was still unsuccessful, and a special commissioner, John Johnson, gentleman, was sent round Surrey and the neighbourhood to induce well-affected persons to subscribe. Loans are demanded through the local magnates ; persons of sufficient means are to have the obliga- tion of advancing money strongly represented to them. The arrears of loans are to be collected, and those persons who would not advance money are to be made to enter into 'good bonds' for their appearance before the Council, 'to answer for their obstinate refusal,' February 23, '597- There were many legal prohibitions or regulations to be put in force, to which the Council drew the attention of the justices. Un- authorized cottages, erected without land attached, and cottages in the Surrey bailiwick of the forest were to be pulled down. The Acts against wasting of woods for charcoal making were to be put in force. A glass- house started by an Italian near Guildford was to be put down. ' The useless multitude of corn badgers and corn brokers ' in the county was to be reduced, June 7, 1573." Bonds of sufficient security were to be re- quired of tanners for their observance of the laws ' for the true and suffi- cient tannynge of lether,' November 7, 1 574.* No plays or shows were to be allowed in Surrey within 10 miles of London, from November 15, 1 574,* till after the next Easter, because of the plague. For a similar reason in 1563 the fair on St. Catherine's Hill, near Guildford, was to be forbidden. 5 Of course the levying of troops and the keeping up of beacons were constantly required. On August 28, 1576,* the Council ordered Sir William More and Sir Thomas Browne to see that the ironmasters cast no more iron guns than were needed for her majesty's service, as the superfluity was only bought for strangers and pirates. Priests and foreigners were continually being inquired after, and when arrested remitted for examination backwards and forwards. The names of re- cusants were to be returned ; their horses and arms were to be taken away. Sectaries, of the most obscure station apparently, were to be arrested. De Minimis Curabat Concilium. Lord Burgley wrote to Sir William More about 'a strong speech' said to have been made by Sir Edward Bray to one Mellersh, and wrote also to the body of justices on 1 It exists at Loseley among the loose papers.
- Loseley MSS. vii. 72. 3 Ibid. vii. zob. * Ibid. vii. 2lb.
5 Ibid. September 12, 1563, ii. 53. 6 Ibid. vii. 9^. 380