neolithic age, and possibly belonging to that of bronze or prehistoric iron. These remains lie on a bleak exposed hill, more than 700 feet above sea-level, and are apparently connected with an ancient roadway which at this point forms the boundary line between Oxfordshire and Warwickshire, the circle lying within the borders of the former county. The whole group belongs, in fact, more particularly to Oxfordshire, and will be described in the volume which deals with the prehistoric remains of that county.
TOPOGRAPHICAL LIST OF PREHISTORIC ANTIQUITIES IN WARWICKSHIRE The following is a brief list of the various places in Warwickshire from which prehistoric remains have been obtained or where they still exist. Compared with some other counties it appears unusually meagre, but it must be remembered that the superficial area of Warwickshire is less than that of several other of the counties which are remarkable for their prehistoric remains. ATHERSTON, OLDBURY CAMP. Bronze age interment. Urns in Rugby School Museum. BARTON-ON-THE-HEATH. Ground neolithic celt of flint, 5^ inches long ; now in Rugby School Museum. BRANDON. Bronze age interment. Urns in Rugby School Museum. BRINKLOW. Prehistoric camp. BROWNSOVER. Prehistoric camp. CHESTERTON-ON-FOSSWAY. Late Celtic discs of enamelled bronze. KENILWORTH COMMON. Chips of flint found in gravel near an ancient earthwork [Proc. Soc. Antiq. vii. 267, ser. 2]. Rude celt of millstone grit [ibid. vii. 267-8 ; Arch. Journ. xxxiii. ]- LILLINGTON. Neolithic interment and settlement. Human skull, drinking cup and spindle- whorl discovered by Mr. S. S. Stanley. LONG COMPTON. Ground neolithic celt of white flint [Bloxam's Fragmenta Sepulchralia, p. 12; Beesley's History of Banbury, i. 7]. Megalithic remains, known as the Roll- right Stones. NEW BILTON. Bronze dagger, gf inches long and 2j inches wide [Evans, Bronze Implements, p. 245 ; Proc. Soc. Antiq. iv. 50, ser. 2]. OLDBURY. Chipped and ground neolithic celt found at Oldbury Camp [Dugdale, Antiquitiei of Warwkkshirt (1730), p. 1081]. RATLEY. Nadbury Camp, a prehistoric earthwork : bronze sword and celt found there [Dugdale, Antiquities of Warwickshire (1730), p. 541]. RUGBY. Pilgrim's Lowe, a sepulchral barrow (probably prehistoric) near Rugby. Bronze spearhead. Small bronze hammer [Evans, Bronze Implements, p. 179 ; Proc. Soc. Antiq. iii. , ser. 2]. SALTLEY. Palaeolithic implement [Evans, Ancient Stone Implements, pp. 5789, ed. 2], STONELEIGH. British coin [Evans, Coins of the Ancient Britons, Supplement, p. 488]. SUTTON COLDFIELD. Perforated hammerstor.e [Evans, Ancient Stone Implements, p. 224, ed. 2 ; Proc. Soc. Antiq. vii. 268, ser. 2]. WALSGRAVE-UPON-SOWE. Neolithic perforated axe [Evans, Ancient Stone Implements, p. 198, ed. 2]. WALTON. See WELLESBOURNE-HASTINGS. WELLESBOURNE-HASTINGS WITH WALTON. Palaeolithic flake. Several neolithic flint chips and flakes [Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of London, vii. 268, ser. 2], WOLVEY. Bronze celt in the Bloxam collection resembling in form that figured in Sir John Evans' Bronze Implements, fig. 54. Bronze palstave [Proc. Soc. Antiq. iii. 129, ser. 2].