ANCIENT DEFENSIVE EARTHWORKS BROWNSOVER (near Rugby). Some worn remains of what was early in the last century an important ancient camp, may be traced around the church and village here. Many of its entrenchments were destroyed when an alteration was made in the course of the old turnpike road between Rugby and Lutterworth ; this formerly ran more to the north, close to Brownsover Hall, and almost outside of the area of the earth- works. The site chosen by the makers of this fortress is a commanding one ; it is at the south end of a low ridge, and overlooks the valleys of BROWNSOVER A,D. 1827, after Bloxgrrt SCALE OFFECT 100 zoo 3OQ the rivers Avon and Swift, which join one another just below ; a small ravine separates it from the higher ground to the north. In former days the low-lands on either side of the two streams, which are now often flooded, were probably an impassable morass ; this would form a good natural defence upon the west and south. Fortunately we have a record of the camp as it appeared early in the last century, before the diversion of the road. For the late Mr. M. H. Bloxam, F.S.A., made a sketch of it in the year 1827, which, together with his description of the remains, is preserved in Hamper's 363
Page:VCH Warwickshire 1.djvu/425
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page needs to be proofread.