A HISTORY OF WARWICKSHIRE inside of this ditch, except where there was a gap just north-east of the west corner ; there is a small pool of water in the angle of the ditch at this point. These works, besides having been described as prehistoric and as Roman, are sometimes said locally to have been thrown up by the troops at Southam during the Civil War in the seventeenth century ; but there is no known historical record of this, nor is there any proof of the suggested much earlier origin. Their appearance at present rather points to their being one of the ancient moated enclosures of which we have so many examples in the county. LAPWORTH (8 miles north-west of Warwick). Within the manor of Broom in the hamlet of Kingswood, and i miles east of the parish church of Lapworth, are to be seen the scant remains of a once important camp, known locally as Harborough Banks. This camp was situated upon the slopes of a slight hollow, with higher ground on three of its sides, the west, north, and east ; a little brook runs near its eastern side. Unfortunately these earthworks have suffered what amounts very nearly to destruction at the hands of man. Their demolition was begun as early as 1730, for we read of their banks being dug into for gravel about that time. 1 But the main work of destruction took place as late as 1862, soon after an Inclosure Act was obtained by local landowners. The existing remains therefore are but fragmentary. They consist chiefly of a rampart and fosse running in a north-westerly direction for a distance of about 300 yards, beginning at an elbow in the lane leading from the Lapworth and Warwick road to Broom Hall ; the fosse here is dry, but it is probably traceable a little farther north in two short lengths which are now filled with water. In a plan of the works, made about i86o, 2 the existing rampart is represented as continuing for another 200 yards towards the north from where it ends at present ; the plan also shows the same rampart as turning off at a right angle at its southern extremity and running thence north- north-east for a distance of about 300 yards ; here it apparently must have turned again almost at a right angle, for after an interval another length of rampart ran west-north-west for about 200 yards in a straight line parallel to the Warwick and Lapworth road. If this rampart formerly continued about 150 yards further in the same direction, and then turned round to join the defences still traceable on the west side of the enclosure, the interior area of the camp must have been at least as much as 25 acres. Its shape would thus have been an irregular oblong, but with the south-western and north-western sides joining in a curve instead of in an angle. 3 1 Dugdale's Warw. (ed. Thomas, 1730), p. 730. 1 Hannett, Forest of Arden (1863), p. 12. Apparently the only relics of antiquity known to have been found here are the following, viz. ' Something like the spout of an ewer,' unearthed when the banks were dug away for gravel prior to 1730, 'which when melted down proved to be metal very like what we call Prince's metal ' (Dug- dale's Warw. [ed. Thomas, 1730], p. 730), and a cannon-ball and portions of a pistol dug up about 1850. 384
Page:VCH Warwickshire 1.djvu/446
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page needs to be proofread.