Portal:Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search
Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples
Class

The Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples (Latin: Congregatio pro Gentium Evangelizatione) in Rome is the congregation of the Roman Curia responsible for missionary work and related activities. It is perhaps better known by its former title, the Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith (Sacra Congregatio de Propaganda Fide).

It was founded by Pope Gregory XV in 1622 to arrange missionary work on behalf of the various religious institutions, and in 1627 Pope Urban VIII established within it a training college for missionaries. It was renamed by Pope John Paul II in 1982 (largely because the word "propaganda" had been given a bad name by Joseph Goebbels, the Minister of Propaganda in Nazi Germany) and its mission continues unbroken.

Excerpted from Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples on Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.


Works[edit]

Letters received[edit]

Works about[edit]