- “New Guinea” in The Nuttall Encyclopædia by James Wood, London: Frederick Warne and Co., Ltd., 1907.
- “New Guinea,” in The New Student's Reference Work, Chicago: F.E. Compton and Co. (1914)
- “New Guinea,” in Catholic Encyclopedia, New York: The Encyclopaedia Press (1913)
Popular Science Monthly
- "New Guinea and its Inhabitants I", in Popular Science Monthly Volume 14, April 1879
- "New Guinea and its Inhabitants II", in Popular Science Monthly Volume 15, May 1879
- Picturesque New Guinea, 1887
- “New Guinea” in Littell's Living Age, 148 (1909), by Alfred R. Wallace
- The Concept of “Soul-Substance” in New Guinea and Melanesia in Folk-Lore, v. 31.