Public Law 86-209
Jump to navigation Jump to search
86TH UNITED STATES CONGRESS
To establish a National Medal of Science to provide recognition for individuals who make outstanding contributions in the physical, biological, mathematical, and engineering sciences.
- Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
- That there is hereby established a National Medal of Science (hereinafter referred to as the ‘‘medal’’), which shall be of such design and materials and bear such inscriptions as the President, on the basis of recommendations submitted by the National Science Foundation, may prescribe, and shall be awarded as provided in section 2 of this Act.
- (a) The President shall from time to time award the medal, on the basis of recommendations received from the National Academy of Sciences or on the basis of such other information and evidence as lie deems appropriate, to individuals who in his judgment are deserving of special recognition by reason of their outstanding contributions to knowledge in the physical, biological, mathematical, or engineering sciences.
- (b) Not more than twenty individuals may be awarded the medal in any one calendar year.
- (c) An individual may not be awarded the medal unless at the time such award is made he—
- (1) is a citizen or other national of the United States; or
- (2) is an alien lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who (A) has filed an application for petition for naturalization in the manner prescribed by section 334(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act and (B) is not permanently ineligible to become a citizen of the United States.
- (d) The presentation of the award shall be made by the President with such ceremonies as he may deem proper, including attendance by appropriate Members of Congress.
Approved August 25, 1959.
- H.R. 6288
- Executive Order 10910 − Providing for the Design and Award of the National Medal of Science (January 17, 1961)
- Executive Order 10961 − Providing procedures for the award of the National Medal of Science (August 21, 1961)
- Executive Order 11287 − Award and presentation of the National Medal of Science (June 28, 1966)
- Executive Order 11502 − Enlarging the membership of the President's Committee on the National Medal of Science (Dec. 22, 1969)
- Executive Order 11734 − Revising the membership of the President's Committee on the National Medal of Science (July 30, 1973)