There was a time in Europe long ago
- Where no man died for freedom anywhere,
- But England's lion leaping from its lair
Laid hands on the oppressor! it was so
While England could a great Republic show.
- Witness the men of Piedmont, chiefest care
- Of Cromwell, when with impotent despair
The Pontiff in his painted portico
Trembled before our stern ambassadors.
- How comes it then that from such high estate
- We have thus fallen save that Luxury
With barren merchandise pils up at the gate
Where noble thoughts and noble deeds should enter by:
- Else might we still be Milton's heritors.