- My God, I know that those who plead
- To you for grace and mercy need
- All their good works should go before,
- And wait for them at heaven's high door.
- But I have no good deeds to bring,
- No righteousness for offering,
- No service for my Lord and King.
- Yet do not hide your face from me,
- Nor cast me out far from you;
- But when you command my life to cease,
- O, may you lead me forth in peace
- To the world to come, to dwell
- Among your pious ones, who tell
- Your inexhaustible glories.
- There let my portion be with those
- Who arose in eternal life;
- There to purify my heart right,
- In your light to see the light.
- Raise me from the deepest depths to share
- Heaven's endless joys of praise and prayer,
- That I may evermore declare:
Though you were angered, Lord, I will give thanks to you,
For now your wrath is past, and you do comfort me.