Royal Decree 56 of 2002
Legislative Decree No. 56 of the year 2002 with respect to interpreting certain provisions of Legislative Decree No. 10 of the year 2001 with respect to general amnesty for crimes affecting national security.
We, Hamad Bin Isa Al Khalifa, King of the Kingdom of Bahrain,
- having reviewed the Constitution,
- and Legislative Decree No. (10) of the Year 2001 with respect to General Amnesty for Crimes Affecting National Security,
- and being desirous of ensuring the sound application of the provisions of Legislative Decree No.(10) of the Year 2001 in a manner consistent with the purpose thereof and for the consolidation of social and political harmony and stability that are considered as the mainstay for individuals’ peaceful co-existence in the community,
- and upon the submission of the Prime Minister,
- and with the approval of the Council of Ministers,
Hereby decree the following law:
The expression “third party” appearing in the second paragraph of Article (3) of Legislative Decree No. (10) of the Year 2001 with respect to General Amnesty for Crimes Affecting National Security shall mean “every party injured by a crime in respect of which the general amnesty issued according to Article (1) of this Law”.
The expression “Cases arising from the amnesty issued in pursuance of this Law, Decrees and Orders issued in this respect shall not be heard” that appears in the same paragraph shall mean “not hearing any case brought before any judicial authority by reason of or on the occasion of the crimes subject to the amnesty, whoever may be the person filing it and irrespective of the capacity against whom it is filed, whether he is an ordinary citizen or a civilian or military public servant and whatever may be the nature of his participation in such crimes, whether an original perpetrator or an accessory during the period prior to the effective date of this Law.”
This Law shall come into operation from the effective date of the provisions of Legislative Decree No. (10) of the Year 2001 with respect to General Amnesty for Crimes Affecting National Security and be published in the Official Gazette. It shall come into effect from the date of its publication.
- Hamad Bin Isa Al Khalifa
King of the Kingdom of Bahrain
Khalifa Bin Salman Al Khalifa
Issued at Riffa Palace
On: 17th Sha’aban, 1423 Hijra
Corresponding to: 23rd October 2002