Royal Naval Biography/Head, Richard John

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Obtained his first commission on the 12th June, 1807; served as flag-lieutenant to the late Sir Charles V. Penrose, during the period of that officer’s command on the Mediterranean station; and was advanced to his present rank in May 1819. On the 5th July 1827, the officers of the Coast Guard, (Falmouth district), gave him a dinner, on his retiring from the duties of Inspecting Commander. At the same time, they presented him with a snuff-box, of heart of oak, manufactured from a beam of St. Mawe’s castle, of 200 years standing, suitably ornamented, and with an inscription commemorative of the deep feelings of respect which they entertained of his public character as an officer, and in grateful testimony of the many courtesies they had individually received.