This hymn tune was first written as a musical setting for "Hark! The Song of Jubilee" by James Montgomery, and was published with this hymn in 1858 in Edward Henry Thorne's Selection of Psalm and Hymn Tunes. It is most commonly sung as the tune for "Come, Ye Thankful People, Come" by Henry Alford.
The tune is named after w:St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, where Elvey was the organist.
This work was published before January 1, 1926, and is in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago.