States of Christian Life and Vocation, According to the Doctors and Theologians of the Church
Part 1: States of the Christian Life
Section 2: The State of Perfection
- Chapter 1: Is Episcopacy the Most Perfect State of the Christian Life
- Chapter 2: Is the State of Priests having Charge of Souls More Perfect than the Religious State
- Chapter 3: What are the Signs and Conditions of a Vocation to Holy Orders
Part 2: THE CHOICE OF A STATE OF LIFE AND VOCATION.
Section I. Means to know what State of life we should choose
These means are all contained in the three words : pray, reflect, consult.
Section 2: Rules to be followed in choosing a State of Life
These rules, which are borrowed from theology and the most eminent masters of the spiritual life, will, we trust, be useful, not only to persons deliberating on the state they should embrace, but to those also who are called upon to advise and direct them in this deliberation.
- Chapter 1: Rules to be followed when a State is Obligatory
- Chapter 2: Rules when a Religious Vocation is Doubtful
- Chapter 3: Rules when those about to choose a State have not even a Doubtful Vocation for the Religious Life
- Chapter 4: Rules to discover what is Most Pleasing to God, when a Person is Free to choose the State which he thinks Proper for himself
- Chapter 5: Three Times Suitable for making a Right Choice
- Chapter 6: How to act after an Election