Talk:A Dictionary of the English Language
Making Johnson's dictionary available is a good deed, but a more structured approach is needed.
- Hasn't someone else already done this? Project Gutenberg? Can duplication of effort be avoided?
- The front page needs an overview of what can be found here. The preface should be moved to a subpage.
- Creating one wiki page for each entry in a dictionary is not very productive, and so far only very few entries have been included. See Special:Allpages/A Dictionary of the English Language for a list of existing subpages.
- Entering the text without scanned images is doomed to fail, since there's no way to know if it was transcribed correctly. This might pass for poetry and novels, but for a dictionary, exact spelling is essential.
- vol 1 (1756) Internet Archive identifier : dictionaryofengl01john
- vol 2 (1756) Internet Archive identifier : dictionaryofengl02john
- Also many later editions, such a Vol 1, sixth edition (1785) Internet Archive identifier : dictionaryofengl01johnuoft