The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Burlington (county)
BURLINGTON, a central county of New Jersey, extending entirely across the state, and bounded S. E. by the Atlantic and N. W. by the Delaware river; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 53,639. Several streams falling into the Atlantic and the Delaware water it. The surface is level. The soil near the river is remarkably fertile; in other localities it is sandy. Pine woods are found in various parts of the county. Bog iron ore is abundant, and in the western portion are frequently found, imbedded in marl, petrified vegetables and animal relics. It is intersected by the Camden and Amboy, the Mt. Holly branch and the Atco branch of the New Jersey Southern, the Camden and Burlington County, and the Pemberton and Hightstown railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 200,120 bushels of wheat, 102,411 of rye, 983,879 of Indian corn, 175,738 of oats, 581,955 of Irish and 114,517 of sweet potatoes, 58,165 tons of hay, 494,769 lbs. of butter, and 47,247 of wool. There were 6,407 horses, 1,288 mules and asses, 14,796 milch cows, 3,852 other cattle, 1,669 sheep, and 15,760 swine. Capital, Mount Holly.