The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Charles City
CHARLES CITY, a S. E. county of Virginia, bounded S. by James river, N. and E. by the Chickahominy; area, 184 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,975, of whom 3,153 were colored. It was one of the eight original shires into which Virginia was divided in 1634. The chief productions in 1870 were 55,269 bushels of wheat, 111,244 of Indian corn, and 47,578 of oats. There were 355 horses, 880 milch cows, 926 other cattle, and 3,903 swine. Capital, Charles City Court House.