The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Christchurch (New Zealand)
CHRISTCHURCH, a town of New Zealand, the capital of the province of Canterbury, on the banks of the Avon, about 7 m. from the sea, and about 9 m. from Lyttleton, which is its port; pop. of the town proper in 1871, 7,931; of the town and suburbs, 12,466. It is connected with Lyttleton by a railway tunnelled at great expense through the Lyttleton hills, and with all the principal towns of New Zealand by telegraph. It is the seat of an Anglican bishop, and has numerous fine buildings, among others the college, the supreme court, the immigration barracks, and the banks. It has also flourishing manufactories.