The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Delaware (counties)
DELAWARE, the name of five counties in the United States. I. A S. E. county of New York, bounded N. W. by the E. branch of the Susquehanna and S. W. by Delaware river, which separates it from Pennsylvania; area, 1,550 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 42,972. It is drained by the head streams of the Delaware, has a hilly surface, and the soil in the valleys is exceedingly fertile. The Delaware and Susquehanna rivers are here navigable by boats, and vast quantities of lumber are annually transported upon them. The Erie railway passes through the S. part, and the Albany and Susquehanna railroad skirts the N. W. boundary. The chief productions in 1870 were 11,497 bushels of wheat, 26,120 of rye, 126,097 of Indian corn, 689,084 of oats, 162,585 of buckwheat, 432,443 of potatoes, 167,975 tons of hay, 6,135,715 lbs. of butter, 130,472 of wool, 407,589 of maple sugar, and 307,431 of hops. There were 10,295 horses, 46,699 milch cows, 21,515 other cattle, 33,481 sheep, and 9,551 swine; 11 flour mills, 71 saw mills, 19 tanneries, 7 currying establishments, 9 manufactories of agricultural implements, 28 of carriages and wagons, 25 of barrels and casks, 10 of furniture, 13 of saddlery and harness, 10 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, and 6 of woollen goods. Capital, Delhi. II. A S. E. county of Pennsylvania, bordering on Delaware, separated from New Jersey on the S. E. by Delaware river, and drained by a number of small streams; area, 108 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 39,403. It was originally settled by Swedes. The surface in the S. E. is generally level, but in other parts it is hilly. A large portion of it is occupied as grazing land, and the markets of Philadelphia are mainly supplied from its dairies. The soil is not naturally fertile, but by the use of manure it has been rendered extremely productive. Mica slate and gneiss are found. Whetstones are procured near Darby, and extensively exported. Water power is abundant. The Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore, the Pennsylvania Central, the West Chester and Philadelphia, and the Philadelphia and Baltimore Central railroads traverse the county. The chief productions in 1870 were 121,398 bushels of wheat, 379,417 of Indian corn, 135,052 of oats, 197,295 of potatoes, 32,140 tons of hay, and 1,143,051 lbs. of butter. There were 4,219 horses, 12,766 milch cows, 3,592 other cattle, and 7,759 swine; 27 flour mills, 18 saw mills, 18 manufactories of cotton goods, 9 of thread, twine, and yarn, 26 of woollen goods, 1 of worsted goods, 13 of bricks, 1 of ground dye woods and stuffs, 5 of machinery, 3 of paper, 2 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 6 ship building and repairing establishments, and 1 molasses and sugar refinery. Capital, Media. III. A central county of Ohio, traversed by the Scioto and Olentangy rivers, well supplied with water power; area, 478 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 25,175. It has an even surface and a fertile soil. The Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis railroad and Springfield branch cross it. The chief productions in 1870 were 242,025 bushels of wheat, 932,760 of Indian corn, 206,688 of oats, 116,613 of potatoes, 25,776 of flax seed, 39,303 tons of hay, 630,327 lbs. of butter, 475,301 of wool, 69,573 of maple sugar, and 2,312,427 of flax. There were 7,705 horses, 6,770 milch cows, 9,404 other cattle, 110,832 sheep, and 20,723 swine; 8 flour mills, 9 saw mills, 3 tanneries, 6 currying establishments, 3 manufactories of agricultural implements, 1 of bagging, 10 of bricks, 20 of carriages and wagons, 1 of linseed oil, 1 of paper, and 4 of woollen goods. Capital, Delaware. IV. An E. county of Indiana, drained by White and Mississinewa rivers, and consisting in great part of low marshy prairies, suitable for pastures; area, 400 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 19,030. The surface is level, and the soil fertile. The Fort Wayne, Muncie, and Cincinnati, and the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis railroads traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 451,502 bushels of wheat, 674,477 of Indian corn, 63,546 of oats, 45,387 of potatoes, 10,774 tons of hay, 422,108 lbs. of butter, and 76,251 of wool. There were 6,849 horses, 4,546 milch cows, 6,863 other cattle, 23,793 sheep, and 24,274 swine; 11 flour mills, 9 saw mills, 2 manufactories of boots and shoes, 2 of barrels and casks, 4 of furniture, 1 of machinery, and three of woollen goods. Capital, Muncie. V. An E. county of Iowa, well supplied with water and timber, and having a healthy climate, fertile soil, and rough hilly surface; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 17,432. The Dubuque and Sioux City railroad traverses it, and the Dubuque and Southwestern railroad crosses the S. E. corner. The chief productions in 1870 were 695,137 bushels of wheat, 19,324 of rye, 981,010 of Indian corn, 677,612 of oats, 49,515 of barley, 116,877 of potatoes, 42,790 tons of hay, 101,545 lbs. of cheese, 674,506 of butter, and 41,243 of wool. There were 8,591 horses, 9,312 milch cows, 13,125 other cattle, 11,395 sheep, and 27,376 swine; 9 flour mills, 6 saw mills, 13 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 1 of machinery, 8 of saddlery and harness, and 1 of woollen goods. Capital, Delhi.