The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Des Moines (county)
DES MOINES, a S. E. county of Iowa, bordering on Illinois, washed by the Mississippi on the E., bounded S. by Skunk river, and drained by Flint creek; area, 408 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 27,256. Limestone and anthracite are the principal mineral productions. The surface is occupied by prairies and tracts of timber. The soil is fertile and well cultivated. The Burlington and Missouri River, the Burlington, Cedar Rapids, and Minnesota, and the Burlington and Southwestern railroads traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 211,234 bushels of wheat, 887,138 of Indian corn, 208,833 of oats, 98,269 of potatoes, 24,457 tons of hay, 478,878 lbs. of butter, and 69,859 of wool. There were 8,350 horses, 6,558 milch cows, 10,931 other cattle, and 15,426 sheep; 2 flour mills, 4 planing mills, 3 breweries, 3 manufactories of agricultural implements, 15 of carriages and wagons, 1 of cares, 3 of machinery, 2 of marble and stone work, 1 of linseed oil, 1 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 1 of tobacco and snuff, 4 of cigars, and woollen goods. Capital, Burlington.