The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Dover (Delaware)
DOVER, a town in the hundred of the same name, capital of Delaware, and seat of justice of Kent county, situated on St. Jones river and the Delaware railroad, 48 m. S. of Wilmington; pop. of the hundred in 1870, 6,394, of whom 1,839 were colored; of the town, 1,906, of whom 501 were colored. It is regularly built, mostly of brick, on high ground. The streets are wide, straight, well shaded, and cross each other at right angles. The principal public buildings face an open square, planted with elms, the E. side of which is occupied by a handsome state house. A new county court house and a new post office are in process of construction. The town contains a flour mill, two saw mills, a national and a state bank, an insurance company, two hotels, an academy, seven public and three private schools, a weekly newspaper, and six churches. Dover is the centre of the fruit-canning trade.