The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Erie (county)
ERIE. I. A W. county of New York, bordering on Lake Erie, bounded N. by the Tonawanda and S. by the Cattaraugus creek; area, about 950 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 178,699. It is drained and supplied with water power by Buffalo creek and several other small streams. In the N. part the surface is undulating, and the soil well adapted to grain; in the S. it is hilly, and here the land is more suitable for grazing. Iron ore, limestone, brick clay, and water cement are found in considerable quantities. The county is traversed by several railroads, and by the Erie canal, which connects with Niagara river at Black Rock, and has its terminus at Buffalo. The chief productions in 1870 were 436,193 bushels of wheat, 58,283 of rye, 346,128 of Indian corn, 1,125,339 of oats, 246,551 of barley, 21,804 of buckwheat, 643,932 of potatoes, 143,683 tons of hay, 503,073 lbs. of cheese, 2,149,358 of butter, 158,353 of wool, and 83,015 of hops. There were 16,154 horses, 40,323 milch cows, 17,016 other cattle, 33,324 sheep, and 17,043 swine. There were 1,429 manufactories; capital employed, $13,043,790; value of products, $27,446,683. The most important of these were 13 of agricultural implements, 8 of boats, 18 of boots and shoes, 70 of wagons, 87 of clothing, 45 of furniture, 1 of gas, 38 of iron and products of iron, 9 of dressed skins, 23 of machinery, 16 of malt, 8 of soap and candles, 55 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 19 planing mills, 63 saw mills, 4 distilleries, 42 breweries, 23 tanneries, 14 currying establishments, and 36 flour mills. Capital, Buffalo. II. A county of Pennsylvania, forming the N. W. extremity of the state, bordering on New York, Ohio, and Lake Erie; area, 740 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 65,973. With the exception of a high ridge, several miles from the lake, and running nearly parallel with its shore, the surface is generally rolling and well watered. The soil is clayey, and in the N. part produces good crops of grain. The S. portions are mainly occupied by pasture lands. It is traversed by the Erie and Pittsburgh, the Lake Shore, the Philadelphia and Erie, the Oil Creek and Alleghany River, the Atlantic and Great Western, and the Buffalo, Corry, and Pittsburgh railroads; also by the Beaver and Erie canal. The chief productions in 1870 were 308,315 bushels of wheat, 531,584 of Indian corn, 743,106 of oats, 100,014 of barley, 27,464 of buckwheat, 415,989 of potatoes, 90,551 tons of hay, 165,739 lbs. of cheese, 1,896,701 of butter, and 170,825 of wool. There were 11,117 horses, 20,140 milch cows, 16,781 other cattle, 40,746 sheep, and 11,364 swine. There were 928 manufactories, with an aggregate capital of $5,717,993. The principal establishments were 19 flour mills, 15 iron works, 20 tanneries, 9 currying establishments, 14 breweries, 14 planing mills, 56 saw mills, 9 manufactories of agricultural implements, 6 of boots and shoes, 15 of bricks, 45 of carriages and wagons, 1 of cars, 5 of rectified coal oil, 20 of barrels and casks, 9 of machinery, 9 of pumps, 12 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 29 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 3 of wooden ware, 1 of wood work, and 8 of woollen goods. Capital, Erie. III. A N. county of Ohio, bordering on Lake Erie and Sandusky bay; area, 250 sq. m; pop. in 1870, 28,188. It is drained by Huron and Vermilion rivers. Near Huron river are several ancient mounds and enclosures, and at Sandusky are extensive quarries of valuable limestone. The surface is generally level, the soil alluvial and exceedingly fertile. It is traversed by the Cincinnati, Sandusky, and Cleveland, the Sandusky, Mansfield, and Newark, and its Huron branch, and the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 239,874 bushels of wheat, 550,026 of Indian corn, 307,089 of oats, 22 865 of barley, 259,960 of potatoes, 19,523 tons of hay, 339,958 lbs. of butter, 169,905 of wool, and 54,701 gallons of wine. There were 4,813 horses, 4,700 milch cows, 3,527 other cattle, 39,751 sheep, and 7,863 swine; 2 manufactories of cars, 20 of barrels and casks, 2 of cutlery and edge tools, 13 of cured fish, 2 of hubs and wagon material, 2 of iron castings, 5 of machinery, 1 of printing paper, 3 of sashes, doors, and blinds, 10 of tin ware, 7 of cigars, 4 establishments for turning and carving wood, 15 for ship building, 2 for pork packing, 7 saw mills, 6 flour mills, 4 breweries, and 33 manufactories of wine. Capital, Sandusky.