The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Greencastle
GREENCASTLE, a city and the capital of Putnam co., Indiana, 1 m. E. of Walnut fork of Eel river, at the intersection of the Louisville, New Albany, and Chicago railroad with the St. Louis, Vandalia, Terre Haute, and Indianapolis, and the Indianapolis and St. Louis lines, 10 m. W. by S. of Indianapolis; pop. in 1870, 3,227. It is pleasantly situated on a high table land, and is the commercial centre of a rich farming and extensive stock-raising region. It contains a court house, a jail, a national bank, a large rolling mill and nail factory, seven public schools, including a high school, and several churches, and has two weekly newspapers. Indiana Asbury university (Methodist), situated here, was organized in 1835, and in 1874 had 10 professors and instructors, and 439 students, of whom 245, including 38 females, were of the collegiate grade. The Whitcomb and the college circulating libraries contain 9,000 volumes. There is also in the city a Presbyterian female college, having 5 instructors and 120 students.