The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Havre de Grace
HAVRE DE GRACE, a town of Harford co., Maryland, on the W. bank of the Susquehanna river, near its mouth in Chesapeake bay, 35 m. N. E. of Baltimore; pop. in 1870, 2,281, of whom 441 were colored. It is the S. terminus of the Tidewater canal, and the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore railroad here crosses the river on a bridge 3,271 ft. long, completed in 1867 at a cost of more than $1,250,000. The town is noted for its scenery, and has considerable trade in coal, and a weekly newspaper. It was laid out in 1776, and was burned by the British in the war of 1812.