The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Lexington (Virginia)
LEXINGTON, a town and the capital of Rockbridge co., Virginia, on North river, an affluent of the James, 110 m. W. by N. of Richmond; pop. in 1870, 2,873, of whom 891 were colored. It is situated in a valley and surrounded by beautiful mountain scenery, and is the seat of Washington and Lee university, which in 1872-'3 had 22 officers and instructors, 263 students, and a library of 10,000 volumes. (See Washington and Lee University.) The Virginia military institute, situated here, was organized in 1839 as a state military and scientific school, and the system of instruction and government is similar to that of the United States military academy at West Point. The state makes an annual appropriation of $15,000 for its support, and appoints a number of cadets, who receive their tuition free. In 1872 the institute had 12 professors, 300 students, and a library of 5,000 volumes.