The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Michigan City
MICHIGAN CITY, a town of Laporte co., Indiana, on the S. shore of Lake Michigan, at the mouth of Trail creek, 140 m. N. by W. of Indianapolis, and 40 m. E. S. E. of Chicago; pop. in 1860, 3,320; in 1870, 3,985. It is the principal lake port of the state, and is at the intersection of the Michigan Central, the Louisville, New Albany, and Chicago, and the Indianapolis, Peru, and Chicago railroads. Its trade is considerable. The Michigan Central railroad has here extensive repair and locomotive shops. The town is the seat of the northern state prison, and contains a national bank, a high school, and ten other public schools, a weekly newspaper, and seven churches.