The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Milwaukee (county)
MILWAUKEE, a S. E. county of Wisconsin, bounded E. by Lake Michigan; area, 240 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 89,930. It is watered by the Milwaukee, Menominee, and Root rivers. The surface is undulating, and the soil calcareous and fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 238,132 bushels of wheat, 48,271 of rye, 169,996 of Indian corn, 297,874 of oats, 54,973 of barley, 214,916 of potatoes, 13,779 lbs. of wool, 647,590 of butter, and 25,069 tons of hay. There were on farms 4,577 horses, 6,757 milch cows, 3,628 other cattle, 5,796 sheep, and 7,944 swine. There is a large number of manufacturing establishments, situated chiefly in Milwaukee, the capital.