75%

The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Mobile Point

From Wikisource
Jump to navigation Jump to search

MOBILE POINT, the apex of a long, low, narrow, sandy peninsula between the gulf of Mexico on the south and Bon Secours bay and Navy cove on the north. The point is the eastern limit of the entrance into Mobile bay. It is the site of Fort Morgan, built in the place of Fort Bowyer, famous for the repulse of an attack by the British, Sept. 14, 1814. The fort, which was very imperfectly constructed, was commanded by Major Lawrence, with a garrison of only 130, including men and officers, and 20 pieces of artillery. It was attacked by a squadron of two sloops of war and two brigs, assisted by 600 Indians on land, with whom were associated 130 marines from the ships. The attack continued for three hours, when the enemy were repulsed, with the loss of the Hermes, Commodore Percy's flag ship, which ran aground and was burned, and 232 men killed and wounded. Eight of the garrison were killed. After the battle of New Orleans, Fort Bowyer was again invested by the whole British force, and Lawrence surrendered, Feb. 12, 1815. (See Mobile.)