The American Cyclopædia (1879)/New Castle (Delaware)
NEW CASTLE, a N. county of Delaware, bordering on Pennsylvania, bounded E. by Delaware river and bay, which separate it from New Jersey, and drained by Brandywine, Christiana, and other creeks; area, about 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 63,513, of whom 10,192 were colored. It has a diversified surface and fertile soil. It is intersected by the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore, the Wilmington and Reading, and the Delaware railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 504,284 bushels of wheat, 1,002,519 of Indian corn, 353,371 of oats, 200,137 of potatoes, 31,490 tons of hay, 17,555 lbs. of wool, 765,746 of butter, and 4,435 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 7,464 horses, 883 mules and asses, 11,733 milch cows, 1,364 working oxen, 6,817 other cattle, 5,185 sheep, and 9,988 swine. The number of manufacturing establishments was 459, chiefly in Wilmington, having a capital of $9,995,175, and an annual product of $15,093,131. The principal were 26 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 3 of freight and passenger cars, 6 of cotton goods, 1 of gunpowder, 6 of forged and rolled iron, 8 of castings, 18 of leather, 7 of machinery, 2 of matches, 16 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 7 of woollen goods, 36 flour mills, and 5 ship yards. Capital, New Castle.