The American Cyclopædia (1879)/New Milford
NEW MILFORD, a town of Litchfield co., Connecticut, on the Housatonic river and railroad, 40 m. W. by S. of Hartford; pop. in 1870, 3,586. The principal village, on the left bank of the river, is neatly laid out with wide and well shaded streets, has a handsome common, and is supplied with pure water. It has a national bank, a savings bank, a weekly newspaper, a court room for the sessions of the district court, four churches, and about 25 stores. It is the centre of the tobacco trade of the entire valley, and has 10 warehouses; it also contains manufactories of paper, buttons, and woollen cloths.