The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Newberry
NEWBERRY, a N. central county of South Carolina, bounded N. in part by the Ennoree and Tiger rivers, E. by the Broad, and S. by the Saluda; area, 616 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 20,775, of whom 13,318 were colored. The surface is rolling, and the soil fertile, especially near the streams. It is traversed by the Greenville and Columbia and the Laurens railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 41,914 bushels of wheat, 152,232 of Indian corn, 27,701 of oats, 14,072 of sweet potatoes, and 9,836 bales of cotton. There were 1,259 horses, 1,754 mules and asses, 2,379 milch cows, 3,109 other cattle, 2,801 sheep, and 6,967 swine. There were 9 manufacturing establishments. Capital, Newberry Court House.