The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Peoria (county)
PEORIA, a N. central county of Illinois, bounded S. E. by the Illinois river and Peoria lake, and drained by Spoon river and Kickapoo, Elbow, and Copperas creeks; area, 650 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 47,540. It is intersected by numerous railroads centring at the county seat. It has a gently undulating surface and very fertile soil. The chief productions in 1870 were 124,104 bushels of wheat, 99,592 of rye, 969,224 of Indian corn, 334,892 of oats, 108,039 of potatoes, 254,482 lbs. of butter, and 22,036 tons of hay. There were 8,839 horses, 6,318 milch cows, 9,617 other cattle, 6,760 sheep, and 35,386 swine; 7 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 10 of brick, 18 of cooperage, 11 of furniture, 6 of iron castings, 11 of machinery, 9 of saddlery and harness, 16 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 11 distilleries, 6 breweries, and 9 flour mills. Capital, Peoria.