The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Petrozavodsk
PETROZAVODSK, a fortified town of Russia, capital of the government of Olonetz, on the W. shore of Lake Onega, 185 m. N. E. of St. Petersburg; pop. in 1867, 10,910. It contains six churches, a gymnasium, an imperial cannon foundery, where anchors are also cast for the navy, two extensive docks for lake vessels, a lighthouse, and various manufactories. Large vessels navigate the rivers and lakes between this town and St. Petersburg.