The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Sacramento (county)
SACRAMENTO, a central county of California, bounded N. by the American river, S. by the Calaveras and San Joaquin, and W. by the Sacramento, and intersected by the Mokelumne and Cosumnes rivers; area, 1,026 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 26,830, of whom 3,596 were Chinese. It has a diversified surface, nearly level in the west and hilly toward the east, and the soil is generally fertile. The E. portion contains deposits of gold. It is traversed by the Central Pacific and other railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 126,135 bushels of wheat, 62,280 of Indian corn, 589,513 of barley, 72,055 of Irish and 148,920 of sweet potatoes, 74,797 gallons of wine, 515,213 lbs. of wool, 319,500 of hops, 439,835 of butter, 88,050 of cheese, and 21,827 tons of hay. There were 9,462 horses, 9,050 milch cows, 13,149 other cattle, 113,304 sheep, and 14,749 swine; 2 manufactories of bags, 4 of boots and shoes, 6 of brick, 5 of carriages and wagons, 10 of men's clothing, 4 of confectionery, 4 of cooperage, 5 of furniture, 2 of gas, 5 of malt liquors, 3 of machinery, 2 of engines and boilers, 10 of saddlery and harness, 2 of sash, doors, and blinds, 5 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 1 of woollen goods, and 3 flouring mills. Capital, Sacramento.