The American Cyclopædia (1879)/South Bend
SOUTH BEND, a city and the county seat of St. Joseph co., Indiana, on the S. bank of the St. Joseph river, at its most southern bend, 130 m. N. of Indianapolis and 85 m. E. by S. of Chicago; pop. in 1850, 1,652; in 1860, 3,832; in 1870, 7,206; in 1875, estimated by local authorities at 11,000. It is regularly laid out and substantially built, and is noted for its salubrity. It is well drained, and lighted with gas, and has water works and a good fire department. The court house is one of the finest buildings in the state. The river is navigable to this point, and affords good water power. The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, the Michigan Central, and the Chicago and Lake Huron railroads meet here. An active trade is carried on in produce, lumber, and manufactured articles. Manufacturing is the chief interest; there were 2,183 hands employed in 1874, producing articles to the value of $4,318,722. The principal items were: flour, $385,000; carriages, wagons, &c., $1,266,000; farm machinery, $145,500; furniture, $256,000; doors, sash, and blinds, $163,000; foundery products, $440,620; sewing machines, $1,100,000; woollens, $80,000; paper, $330,402; brick, $75,000. The city has two national banks, a savings bank, and a life insurance company. There are six public school houses, with a high school; attendance in 1874, about 1,400. Other educational institutions are the university of Notre Dame and St. Mary's academy in the outskirts, and St. Joseph's academy within the city limits; these are Roman Catholic institutions, the last two for females. Three daily and four weekly (one German) newspapers and a monthly periodical are published. There are 11 churches. South Bend was laid out in 1831.