The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Washington (borough)
WASHINGTON, a borough and the county seat of Washington co., Pennsylvania, 31 m. S. W. of Pittsburgh by the Chartiers railroad; pop. in 1870, 3,571. It is connected by a branch of the Baltimore and Ohio railroad with Wheeling, W. Va. There are two iron founderies, a woollen factory, two coach factories, and various other manufactories, a national bank, a savings bank, several schools, three weekly newspapers, and 11 churches, viz.: Baptist, Disciples', Episcopal, Lutheran, Methodist (3), Presbyterian (3), and Roman Catholic. Washington is the seat of Washington female seminary, and of Washington and Jefferson college (Presbyterian), formed in 1865 by the union of Jefferson and Washington colleges. It occupies fine grounds, on which commodious new buildings have been recently erected. It comprises preparatory and collegiate departments, the latter having classical and scientific courses. The libraries contain 8,000 volumes; the endowment amounts to $220,000. In 1875-'6 there were 10 instructors and 21 preparatory and 136 collegiate students. Jefferson college, at Canonsburg, Pa., was chartered in 1802, and grew out of the Canonsburg academy, opened in 1791. Washington college was chartered in 1806, and grew out of Washington academy, chartered in 1787 and opened in 1789. The number of graduates of Jefferson college is 1,890; of Washington college, 846; of Washington and Jefferson college (1876), 298.