The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Wiscasset
WISCASSET, a port of entry and the shire town of Lincoln co., Maine, on the W. bank of Sheepscot river, 16 m. from its mouth, and on the Knox and Lincoln railroad, 40 m. N. E. of Portland; pop. in 1870, 1,977. It is noted for its fine scenery, and is much frequented as a watering place. It has a good harbor, deep enough for vessels of the largest class, and seldom obstructed by ice. There is a large coasting trade and considerable foreign commerce, the shipments consisting of hay, deals, ice, and box shooks. During the year ending June 30, 1875, the number of entrances in the district in the coasting trade was 32, tonnage 9,921; clearances, 21, tonnage 3,993; vessels engaged in the cod and mackerel fisheries, 113, tonnage 3,860; vessels built, 7, tonnage 1,203; belonging in the district on the above date, 196 vessels, tonnage 9,816. There are manufactories of lumber, bricks, marble, and shoes, a national bank, a savings bank, eight public schools, an academy, a weekly newspaper, a library, and three churches (Congregational, Episcopal, and Methodist).—The town was first settled in 1663, and was known as Pownalborough till 1801, when the name was changed to Wiscasset.