The Chronicles of Cooperstown/The County of Otsego
The county of Otsego was set off from Montgomery in 1791, and Cooperstown designated as the county seat. A part of Schoharie was taken off in 1795, and a part of Delaware in 1797. The county as at first organized comprised &nly two towns — Cherry Valley and Otsego. As the population increased other towns were formed, as follows:
- BURLINGTON was formed from the town of Otsego in 1792. It retained its original dimensions until 1797, when Pittsfield was set off and in 1808 it lost the territory comprising Edmeston. Settlements were made in Burlington as early as 1790.
- BUTTERNUTS was formed from the town of Unadilla, February 5, 1796. In 1849 the town was divided, and the present town of Morris created. First settleme~it was in 1786, and large tracts of land now embraced within the town were purchased and located in 1787.
The principal village, Gilbertsville, has suffered severely from fires: That of 1866, when a large part of the business portion of the village was destroyed, and the more disastrous conflagration of 1874. The Gilbertsville Academy and Collegiate Institute located here was erected in 1839, and opened for scholars in 1840.
- CHERRY VALLEY, "the historic town of Otsego," was formed from the town of Canajoharie, Montgomery county, in 1791. In 1797, Middlefield, Springfield and Worcester were created from its terrtory, and in 1854 Roseboom was set off. It was settled as early as 1740, and rapidly advanced in population and importance until the massacre of 1778, which for a short time checked the growth and prosperity of the town and village. The Cherry Valley Academy, which had for many years a very high standing among institutions of learning, was founded in 1796. The village of Cherry Valley was incorporated in 1812.
- DECATUR was formed from Worcester in 1808, is watered by the two creeks, tributaries of the Schenevus. Was first settled about 1790.