The Dictionary of Australasian Biography/Allen, Captain William
Allen, Captain William, was for many years a commander in the Hon. East India Company's marine, in which he greatly distinguished himself. He arrived in Adelaide in 1839, and, in conjunction with Mr. John Ellis, bought a portion of the "Milner Estate," in the neighbourhood of Port Gawler. In 1845 he became associated in the purchase of the Burra Mine, and assisted in forming the South Australian Mining Association, of which he became chairman. Captain Allen was a member of the Church of England, but contributed liberally to the funds of various Protestant bodies. He helped to establish St. Peter's College in 1849, and was a benefactor to its funds to the extent of £7000. Captain Allen revisited England in 1853, returning in 1855. He died suddenly on Oct. 17th, 1856, and by his will bequeathed £5000 for pastoral aid purposes in connection with the Anglican Church in South Australia, the disposition of the amount being left to the discretion of the Bishop of Adelaide, as trustee.